Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer



Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Publish Date: Out of the shelves!


Reviewed by: Honorary Sister Beth

Sister says: Fun, Feral, and "Fang"tastic!


Summary by: www.goodreads.com


Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

I had so much fun reading this book! It was fun; it was entertaining; and it was just bloody "fang"tastic! OK, I know that was cheesy, but, trust me, the book is good. There were so many things I liked about this book that it is hard to know where to even begin....


The book starts off with Calla, an alpha werewolf on her "protection" duty, saving a human boy named Shay. Personally, I do not like "world" set-ups; I loved that, as the reader, I was just dropped into the story and had to learn the "rules" of the society as I went along. Andrea Cremer is able ease you into the life of the "Guardians" and slowly peel back and expose the secrets of the society.


I love the setting of this book.....It is set just outside Vail, Colorado. I actually just got back from near Vail for vacation and am now wondering if I walked by a werewolf!!!!! Seriously, though, as I read the book, I could picture the backdrop which made the story come alive.


When Calla saves the human, it is not hard to figure out that what Calla is doing is "against the rules", but who doesn't like a little rebellion in a heroine?!?! Throughout the book, it was easy to relate to her as she is torn between duty and desire. I am not one who likes to told what to do, so I was at one point screaming at the book when her mother told she need to start dressing nicer. I kid you not, I walked around in shorts and a tee-shirt with my hair in a ponytail for three days just to show solidarity with Calla. (that is until my mom asked me why I was dressing like a slob and told me start looking more presentable!) She's an interesting character who has to deal with the pressures of leadership, societal expectations, and an arranged marriage. I definitely felt her inner turmoil and dilemma and completely sympathized with her.


One of my favorite characters in the book is Calla's best friend and Beta of her pack....Bryn. Throughout the whole book, you see her loyalty, her friendship, and her love for Calla and Calla's family. *****SPOILER***** I also really appreciated the secondary love story of Bryn and Calla's brother. It really helped put in perspective the "rules" of love and courting within the pack.


*********WARNING*******SPOILER ALERT************

But, I have to say, OMIGOSH, if I was told I had to marry Ren......sign me up!!!! He is HOTTT!!!! He is all tough on the exterior, but just a broken boy who wants to be loved at the heart of it. And, I am sorry, but if I was kissed like Calla was in the bathroom scene.......sorry, I just fainted for minute there.....well, let's just say, I would be RUNNING to the alter! Ok, so at the beginning of the book, I thought he was a male chauvinist pig, but then we peel the onion and find out that he is sweet, he is sensitive, and he is just down right wonderful! It is no wonder Ren was one of the top 25 crushes for our crush tournament.


Then, there is the human boy, Shay. First, I have to say that I absolutely cannot take a male character named Shay seriously. The only Shay's that I know are girls! So, it was a little difficult for me to take a boy named Shay serious as a love interest. But, I do realize that is my own issue that I must get over. At first, when Calla saves him, I absolutely loved him and could not figure out why some of my friends did not like him. But, as the book goes on, I start liking him less and less. It is hard to put a finger on it, but it just seems like he a bit immature and hasty, and likes to unnecessarily push people's buttons. There is also a scene where he just walks up to Calla and asks to sit at her lunch table with her pack mates and Ren (who Shay's knows she's engaged to); what is that about!?!?!? It is like he is just asking for Ren to be the crap out of him!


**********WARNING MORE SPOILERS**********

Speaking of which, when the two guys got in a huge fight over her......totally sexy! I'll take two HOT guys who are amazing kissers fighting over me any day!

***********END OF SPOILERS************


Speaking of kissing, this book has some sexy make out scenes!!! Some of them made me blush they were so good! Deep down I am a sappy romantic, so give me stolen kisses in the night any day!


Sometimes, I feel like all I talk about is hot boys and kissing. Well, that is because mostly that is all I talk about. But, this book has action too and plenty of it. Andrea Cremer leaves you no room to relax. There is action and adventure with each new chapter. So much so, one night, I had to force myself to put the book down so I could go to bed. Cremer throws curve balls and fights to leave you unable to stop until everything is resolved. What an adventure!!!


Finally, the villains....oh, the villains. I don't know who I hate more....Bosque, Efron, or Logan. They are all part of the "Keepers" who are enslaving the "Guardians" and forcing them to abide by their every command. About the time, I said, "Come on, just stand up to them", the book explains why they can't and I am left speechless. So good, it gets me mad as I am writing this!


All in all, I would have to definitely recommend this book. I was a bit "werey" of a book about werewolves. Personally, I have NEVER been "Team Jacob" (Edward will always hold my heart....well, besides my husband, of course) so I did not want to start to like werewolves, but I really liked it. It is a different twist on an old folklore and refreshing to see it presented in a different light.


If you are looking for a good book to finish out your summer with, pick up Nightshade. It will be the perfect book to read on the beach by the light of the full moon!


Be looking for our teaser and review of the second book in this series, Wolfsbane. The teaser will be on Tuesday and the full review will be sometime next week.


If you have read the book, I'd like to know.......are you Team Ren or Team Shay?