Saturday, March 19, 2011

Book in Quotes: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Here's the first in a new series! Periodically, we'll be bringing you some of our favorite books, told only through quotes! For the first, I chose what is in my opinion one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. If you haven't read The Book Thief, you need to NOW! Though, you should be aware it's one of those rare books that will leave a mark so distinct on you that you'll remember it forever. Without further ado: The Book Thief in Quotes!


"Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around with you for months after you've finished just to stay near it."

"It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery" -Death

"I have to say that although it broke my heart, I was, and still am, glad I was there." –Death

"It was a year for the ages, like 79, like 1346, to name just a few. Forget the scythe, damn it, I needed a broom or a mop. And I needed a vacation. " –Death

"It kills me sometimes, how people die." –Death

"He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry." –Death (about Rudy Steiner)


"He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world.

She was the book thief without the words.

Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain." –Death


"How about a kiss, Saumensch?"

He stood waist-deep in the water for a few moments longer before climbing out and handing her the book. His pants clung to him, and he did not stop walking. In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book thief's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them." –Rudy Steiner and Death

“In the darkness of my dark-beating heart, I know. He'd have loved it all right.
You see?
Even death has a heart." –Death

"It’s the leftover humans. The survivors. They’re the ones I can’t stand to look at, although on many occasions I still fail.” –Death


"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." –Liesel Meminger


"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn’t already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth.

All i was able to do was turn to Leisel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.

***A LAST NOTE FROM YOUR NARRATOR***
I am haunted by humans."
-Death